Celebrate Fairtrade Fortnight at Aldi
Fairtrade Fortnight is a time to reflect and recognise how shoppers can make a positive impact. Running from 22nd February – 7th March, Aldi is proud to support the initiative that reminds shoppers that purchasing Fairtrade certified products benefits and protects the rights of farmers and workers in developing countries. Hundreds of individuals, companies, and supporters all over Ireland come together to share the stories of the people who grow our food, people who are often exploited and underpaid.
The organisation supports the establishment of sustainable farming communities, helps workers gain control over their futures, and promotes environmentally sound farming and production practices to ensure workers’ communities are protected.
This year, Fairtrade Fortnight will highlight the growing challenges that climate change brings to farmers and workers in the communities Fairtrade works with. Farmers and workers in the global south, who have done the least to contribute to climate change, are disproportionately affected. These farmers want to highlight:
• Climate change is one of their biggest challenges right now.
• Low prices for their crops mean that they are struggling to fight back.
• With more money through Fairtrade they feel more equipped to meet their everyday needs and deal with the challenges posed by climate change.
• The climate crisis is an immediate and ever-increasing threat and those in climate vulnerable countries are already seeing its impacts from droughts and crop disease to floods, heatwaves and shrinking harvests.
Did you know?
• Aldi is also the only retailer of Fairtrade Flowers in Ireland and is the biggest seller of roses from Ethiopia!
• Aldi is the largest retailer of Fairtrade tea in Ireland.
By buying Fairtrade products, like Aldi’s roses from Herburg Farm in Ethiopia, you help to provide workers with stable incomes, as well as fund access to vital medical services and reduced prices for staple foods. Aldi is proud of its commitment to Fairtrade, through a range of products and during Fairtrade Fortnight 2021, you can also show your support for the farmers and workers who grow Aldi’s food in developing countries.
Aldi’s Fairtrade Roses Bouquet €5.99 on sale every day, is the perfect way to show your support for 2021. You can also pick up the following Fairtrade certified products:
Fairtrade Mixed Bouquet
€4.99 – on sale from 28th February
Fairtrade Reserve Tea 80s
€1.39 per 250g
Organic Fairtrade Bananas
€1.59 per 6 pack – Retail price will be reduced to 79c as part of Aldi’s Super 6 offers from Thursday 25th February to Wednesday 3rd of March.
Roasting Collective Fairtrade Nicaraguan Coffee
€1.99 per 200g - on sale from 25th of February
Visit one of Aldi’s 145 stores nationwide to check out these products and more.
Slán go fóill,