National Potato Day Recipes - For A day dedicated to the humble spud!
Mash Direct are encouraging people across Ireland to get involved and whip up their favourite potato dish to celebrate National Potato Day (Friday 7th October).
Mash Direct is an independent company started by Martin and Tracy Hamilton at their family-run farm in Comber, in 2004; however, the family’s journey started long before that. Using their six-generations of farming expertise, Mash Direct has grown from 70 to 1,400 acres of fields that are tailored to growing traditional, heritage vegetables. These are then cooked to perfection using specially designed steam cookers on the farm for that delicious taste and texture of homemade food. Suitable for microwave or oven heating the Mash Direct range is available to retail, food service and food manufacturing throughout the UK, Ireland, Middle East and beyond, the options are endless!
Mash Direct, grow 6 types of potato on it's sixth generation Family farm, and turn the bumper crop of spuds into delicious potato based products!
There are many delicious ways to use Mash Direct Potato products and celebrate the humble spud!
Check out these tasty recipes:
For the Boxty
• 200g Mash Direct Mashed Potato
• 200g grated raw potato
• 200g plain flour
• 150ml milk
• 1 egg
• Salt & pepper for seasoning
• Butter for frying
Topping per Boxty cake
• 1 Mash Direct Onion Ring
• 1 egg
• 45g spinach chopped
• Chilli flakes and chives for seasoning
Gently mix all the Boxty ingredients together in a mixing bowl
Heat some butter in a pan on a medium heat
Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, scoop the mix onto the pan and gently flatten into a pancake shape
Cook for approximately five minutes on each side until the Boxty is golden brown
Remove from the pan and keep warm under -some foil
Add some more butter to the pan and sauté the spinach for 2 minutes on medium heat seasoning with salt
Push the spinach to the edge of the pan and add the eggs frying on medium / high heat for a few mins, then reduce heat and fry until eggs are ready to your liking.
Serve the spinach eggs on top of the boxty and sprinkle with chilli flakes, chives and black pepper
Chicken Cacciatore with Garlic Potatoes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Oven temperature 180oC (Fan 160oC) Gas mark 4
• 1 pack of Mash Direct Creamy Garlic Potatoes
• 150g cheddar cheese, grated
For the chicken
• 6 skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat and cut into pieces
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 carrots, peeled, chopped
• 150g sliced pancetta, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 150g mushrooms, sliced
• 400g can chopped tomatoes
• 1 teaspoon brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
• 150ml chicken stock
• 1 tablespoon tomato puree
• 100g baby spinach leaves
In a large ovenproof casserole dish, over medium-high heat, add a little oil and fry the chicken until golden. Add onion, carrot and pancetta to the pan and cook over low heat for 5 minutes until the onion is soft and the pancetta crisp. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for a further minute.
Return the chicken to the pan with tomatoes, sugar, balsamic vinegar, stock and tomato puree. Bring to the boil, stir in spinach and reduce to a low heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Top with Mash Direct Garlic Potatoes, sprinkle with cheese and place in the oven for 25 minutes until golden.
Cheesy Fish Pie
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
You will need a 27cm x 19cm rectangular pie dish
Serves: 6 - 8
• 2 packs of Mash Direct Cheesy Mash
For the pie filling
• 4 hard boiled eggs, sliced
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 1 shallot, finely chopped
• 500ml milk
• 50g butter
• 50g plain flour
• 1 heaped teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 225g salmon fillet, cut into chunks,
• 225g cod fillets, cut into chunks
• 140g prawns
• 150g frozen peas
• Freshly milled salt and pepper
• 200g grated mature cheddar
Preheat oven to 180°C (160oC Fan) / Gas Mark 4
For the sauce:
• Heat olive oil in a saucepan and gently fry the onion until soft. Remove to a plate while you make the sauce.
• Melt butter in the same pan, then add flour, stirring continuously until a paste forms – this is called a roux. Gradually whisk the milk into the roux until you have a smooth sauce. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
• Return the onion to the sauce and stir in Dijon mustard, salmon, cod, prawns, peas and season with salt and pepper.
• Pour the fish mixture into a pie dish and arrange egg slices over the surface.
• Top with Mash Direct Cheesy Mash and sprinkle with grated cheese.
• Bake in a hot oven for 20 - 25 minutes until bubbling and golden.
Bangers and Mash with Leek and Mustard Sauce
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
• 1 pack of Mash Direct Mashed Potato
• 1 pack of Mash Direct Green Cabbage
• 4 thick pork sausages
For the mustard and leek sauce
• 1 teaspoon oil
• 1 large leek, trimmed, washed and finely sliced
• 1 teaspoon English mustard
• 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
• A pinch of sugar
• 150ml cream
• Freshly ground salt and black pepper
•Pre heat a grill to moderately hot. Arrange the sausages onto a grill pan cook for 8 - 10 minutes, turning occasionally until golden and thoroughly cooked.
• Heat the oil in a large frying pan and quickly fry the leeks until tender. • Add the mustards, sugar, cream and bring to a boil. Simmer for a few minutes until thick. Season well.
• Heat the Mash Direct Mashed Potato and Green Cabbage as per packet instructions.
• Arrange Mashed Potato onto warm plates with sausages and Green Cabbage, drizzle with mustard and leek sauce.
For more mash inspiration visit MashDirect.com
Slán go fóill.