Father's Day Favourites from Flahavan's!
Buying a special Father’s Day gift can be a difficult task so Flahavan’s are here to save the day, and what could be better than a dessert baked with love!? Treat the Father figure in your life to something sweet from Flahavan’s.
Strawberry and Ginger Hazelnut Streusel Cake Serves 10 | Takes 45
INGREDIENTS: For the Streusel: • 100g Flahavan’s Organic Jumbo Oats, toasted • 1 tsp mixed spice • 50g butter • 60g self-raising flour • 50g blanched toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped • 60g demerara sugar For the Fruity Mixture: • 550g strawberries, halved • 1 tsp ground ginger • 50g stem ginger, finely chopped • 2 tbsp caster sugar • 1 tsp lemon juice
For the Cake: • 2 tsp mixed spice • 200g soft butter • 200g caster sugar • 100g Hazelnuts • 100g self-raising flour • A pinch of salt • 4 medium eggs, whisked METHOD: • Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan. Grease and line a 20cm springform round cake tin. • In a large bowl, combine the strawberries, ground ginger, caster sugar and lemon juice. Tip onto a lined baking tray and roast in the oven for 15 mins.
• At the same time, place the hazelnuts on a baking tray and roast for 15 minutes, until golden.
• Then, lower the oven temperature to 170°C/150°C fan. • Spoon the fruit into a small bowl, draining off any excess liquid, and mix in the chopped stem ginger. Set aside to cool. • To make the streusel, use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until you have a breadcrumb-like consistency. • Mix in the mixed spice, Flahavan’s Organic Jumbo Oats, demerara sugar and 50g of chopped hazelnuts.
• Blitz the remaining hazelnuts in a food processor until you have a fine flour-like consistency. • To make the cake batter, cream together the butter and sugar using an electric hand whisk until light and fluffy.
• Gradually, whisk in the eggs until combined. Then, fold in the remaining ingredients using a large metal spoon. • Spoon half the mixture into your cake tin. Top with half the streusel and half the strawberries. Spoon on the remaining cake batter and smooth out to create an even layer. • Top with the remaining streusel and strawberries. • Bake in the centre of the oven for 50 minutes before covering with a layer of foil. Continue baking for a further 45 minutes before removing from the oven.
• Leave to cool a little before removing from the tin. Slice, serve and enjoy
Oaty White Chocolate Cheesecake Tart
Serves 10 | Takes 60 minutes
INGREDIENTS: For the base • 150g Flahavan’s Organic Porridge Oats • 100g toasted hazelnuts • 125g butter, plus extra for greasing the tin • 80g soft brown sugar • 1 tbsp honey
For the cheesecake topping • 220g good quality white chocolate, broken into pieces • 300ml sour cream • 250g cream cheese • 1 tbsp lemon juice
To decorate • 2 tbsp Flahavan’s Organic Porridge Oats • 15g hazelnuts, roughly halved • 20g soft brown sugar • ½ tsp lemon juice • 100g berries of your choice – strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, redcurrants or blackberries • 1 ripe fig • A few thinly sliced grapes
METHOD: • Preheat the oven to 16o°c. Grease a 9-inch, round, straight sided tart tin with removable base and line the base with a circle of baking parchment. • In a small saucepan, melt the butter, honey and sugar for the cheesecake base over a low heat stirring until combined. Leave to cool a little. • Meanwhile, place the hazelnuts in a food processor and blitz until finely chopped. Mix the Flahavan’s Organic Porridge Oats with the hazelnuts and stir in the melted butter mixture until fully combined. • Press the mixture into the prepared tin using the back of a spoon and push evenly up the sides to form the crust. • Place the cheesecake base in the oven for 15 mins. Once baked, remove from the oven and smooth over the mixture again with the back of a spoon pushing the mixture up the sides again if it has slipped down. • Place the tin in the fridge to cool completely (this should take around 30 minutes). • When the base is cool, make the cheesecake filling by melting the chocolate in a heat proof bowl set over a pan of hot water (making sure the base of the pan does not sit in the water). Once melted, leave to cool for 10 minutes – the chocolate should be liquid but not too hot. • In a mixing bowl whisk together the sour cream, lemon juice and cream cheese until fully combined. Next, add in the melted chocolate and whisk. • Pour the filling over the cooled base and, using a small spatula, spread it into a smooth, even layer. Place the cheesecake in the fridge for around 6 hours, until completely set. • To decorate, start by toasting the remaining Flahavan’s Organic Porridge Oats and hazelnuts in a small frying pan over a medium heat, moving them around the pan for approximately 3 minutes, until completely toasted and golden brown. Stir in the sugar and lemon juice, and cook for around 1 minute until fully melted and combined.
• Tip onto a plate and leave to cool. Remove the tart from the tin by gently heating the edges to release it – you can do this with a cloth soaked in a little hot water – and slide the tart onto a serving plate.
• Gather together the berries, figs and toasted Flahavan’s Organic Jumbo Oats and arrange as you please. Slice into wedges to serve, and enjoy!
These delicious oaty inspired desserts from Flahavan’s are easy to make with delicious results that will definitely impress Dad!
For more tasty recipes visit Flahavans.ie
Slán go fóill.