National Fish Week with Donegal Catch – Supporting local fishing communities
Donegal Catch, Ireland’s number one frozen fish brand for almost 40 years, is encouraging Irish households to choose Irish white fish this National Fish Week (20th – 26th February) and throughout the year! Buying responsibly caught Irish haddock, whiting and hake from Donegal Catch supports Irish fishermen, fisherwomen and local fishing communities.
Donegal Catch is excited to reveal a new TV advert featuring fisher Frank McClenaghan from Greencastle in Co. Donegal explaining why fishing is important for local communities and the role sustainability plays in the Irish fishing industry.
The new TV advert will be on air from Monday, 6th February for 4 weeks as part of the National Fish Week campaign.
Speaking about the campaign, Frank McClenaghan commented:
“I’ve been fishing for 14 years and come from a fishing family who have been fishing for three generations. Fishing is the heart of the Greencastle community and supports local families and businesses. As a Donegal Catch fish supplier I’m delighted to work with them to highlight the importance of choosing Irish fish and the impact on Irish fishing communities.”
Aisling Twomey, Donegal Catch Marketing Manager said:
“We are encouraging Irish households to choose Donegal Catch Irish haddock, whiting and hake this National Fish Week. With people’s increasing desire to eat locally and sustainably caught fish, we are working closely with Irish fishers like Frank, to bring quality fish to Irish dinner plates. Donegal Catch is the largest purchaser of white fish from the Irish catching sector and processes over 20% of Irish landed haddock and whiting. We recognise the role we play in the sustainable development of the Irish fishing industry, protecting our waters, and positively impacting our communities for generations to come. We’re thrilled with our new TV advert featuring Frank and delighted that it is going to air this year for National Fish Week.”
Supporting responsible fishing practices, Donegal Catch work closely with Irish fish suppliers to source the best quality fish, fully traceable back to the boat. For Irish haddock, whiting and hake, Donegal Catch is a key stake holder in the Bord Iascaigh Mhara (BIM) backed Fishery Improvement Projects (FIPs), which focus on improving the sustainability of these Irish fisheries. Donegal Catch procure 100% of its haddock, whiting and hake from Irish co-ops and fishers who are members of the Fishery Improvement Projects.
Last year, Donegal Catch extended its Irish white fish range with award winning products such as Salt & Vinegar Haddock Bites and Chunky Hake. From family favourites Breaded Whiting and Breaded Haddock to Craft Cider or Pale Ale Battered Haddock, the Donegal Catch frozen fish range is versatile and conveniently prepared. Ready to pop in the oven from frozen for a delicious, healthy meal or snacking option in minutes to be enjoyed by all the family! Donegal Catch also has some great ideas for new recipes, along with top tips on how best to get more fish into your diet, to be found at www.donegalcatch.ie
Donegal Catch Range – available in supermarkets nationwide:
Breaded Whiting - €5.99 x 4 fillets
• Donegal Catch Breaded Whiting Fillets are made with 100% Irish whiting, responsibly caught in Irish waters and produced in Ireland. Whiting is a mild flavoured fish, with a firm texture and delicate flavour.
• Conveniently prepared, just pop them in the oven from frozen for a tasty family meal. The Donegal Catch breaded range is free from artificial colours, preservatives and flavours.
Breaded Haddock - €5.99 x 4 fillets
• Donegal Catch Breaded Haddock Fillets are made with 100% Irish haddock, responsibly caught in Irish waters and produced in Ireland.
• Haddock has a sweeter and fuller flavour than other white fish and is naturally high in protein. Cook from frozen for a deliciously simple family meal.
Salt & Vinegar Irish Haddock Bites - €5.50
• The Donegal Catch Salt & Vinegar Irish Haddock Bites are made with 100% Irish haddock fillets and coated in a crispy salt & vinegar flavoured batter, to make the perfect taste combination for an authentic ‘chip shop’ flavour!
• These bites are perfect for a quick and simple dinner or a snacking option for sharing!. A source of protein, the Donegal Catch Salt & Vinegar Irish Haddock Bites are free from artificial colours, preservatives and flavours.
Breaded Chunky Hake €6.60 x 480g – 4 prime fillets per pack
• Donegal Catch Breaded Chunky Hake Fillets are made with 100% prime Irish hake fillets and coated in the signature Donegal Catch crumb, making them ready to be enjoyed by all the family.
• The Donegal Catch Chunky Irish Hake Fillets are perfect for those looking for a more chunky eat, as part of the recommended 2 portions of fish per week. Hake is high in protein and is described as having a sweeter flavour than cod.
Donegal Catch Craft Cider Haddock - €5.50 x 2 Fillets
Donegal Catch Pale Ale Haddock - €5.50 x 2 Fillets
• Donegal Catch have a premium craft beer and cider battered haddock range that have a great story. Targeted at adults only, they are the perfect Friday night treat!.
• Made with premium 100% Irish haddock fillets, this range helps you bring gastro style dining home.
• The beer batter coating is made using McGargle’s premium Irish craft pale ale from Rye River Brewing Company, Co. Kildare, giving the batter a light hop flavour.
• The award winning craft cider haddock is made using a cider batter coating using Madden’s mellow traditional Irish craft cider from Armagh Cider Company, giving the batter a light apple sweet flavour.
To find out more about the Donegal Catch Irish fish sustainability story, take a look here.
Why not try these delicious recipes for National Fish Week.
Slán go fóill.