Trisha’s Top Staycation Cooking Tips w/Recipe for Simple Chicken Curry
2021 is another staycation/holiday at home year for Irish holidaymakers, with almost 90% of those who took part in a recent Aldi survey saying they are booking a staycation/holiday in Ireland this year. Aldi asked participants what they want - what they really, really want when they take to the highways and byways of Ireland for their staycation, with some surprising results!
39% said that they would be staying in self-catering, camping, or mobile home with more people than ever looking at the camper van as a Staycation option. With this in mind, more people will be cooking on holidays, and Aldi Ambassador Trisha Lewis has the following tips to eat well and spend less!
1. Make a meal plan and shopping list
2. Look up where your nearest Aldi is beforehand so you know what you can grab daily if you run out!
3. Don’t do recipes that require specialised equipment- keep it simple.
4. Plan meals that do not spoil quickly.
5. Make meals where the leftovers are just as good to have the next day.
6. Make a list of the food you need to bring and break it down into breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks.
7. Cook ahead and batch cook. You can have these ready in the freezer in advance. Think curry, cottage pie, stroganoff and lasagne. Store in containers, dated, with the number of servings on them. This will ensure that the quality of the meals is high in advance.
8. Bring a toasted sandwich maker, this will be very handy as lunch or if you need a fast dinner.
9. Have some meals that do not need to be cooked - make a meal out of snacks and create a mezze plate. You could include fruit and yogurt, cereals, granola, nuts, sandwiches, wraps and a selections of cheeses and crackers with chutney and grapes - ideal for the beach or long walks.
10. Have dips and breadsticks- these will be amazing when you are hungry and waiting on your dinner.
11. Go for convenience where you can. Use microwave rice, pre chopped potatoes, salad bags etc. After all, this is a holiday!
12. Wash and prep your vegetables in advance or buy freshly cut vegetables.
13. Bring someone that loves to cook!
Try out Aldi’s recipe for a Simple Chicken Curry – perfect for batch cooking ahead of your staycation and always a crowd-pleaser!
• 80g Worldwide Foods Classic Basmati Rice
• 2 tsp Specially Selected Cold Pressed Irish Rapeseed Oil (10g)
• 1 Nature’s Pick Onion
• 2 Butcher’s Selection Chicken Fillets
• 1 tbsp Stonemill Mild Curry Powder , approx. 15g
• 2 Nature’s Pick Carrots
• 200g Nature’s Pick Green Beans
• 150ml Warm Water
• Stonemill Sea Salt and freshly ground Stonemill Black Pepper
1. Simmer the rice for 20 minutes then leave to sit for 10 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan over medium heat.
3. Slice the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft.
4. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add to the onion with curry paste or powder.
5. Stir fry for another 2-3 minutes until sealed and almost tender.
6. Peel and dice the carrots, then trim the green beans and cut in half.
7. Add both to the chicken mixture together with water and bring to a simmer, stirring to combine.
8. Season with salt and pepper, then reduce heat and cover to simmer gently for 5 minutes. Serve with the rice.
Slán go fóill,