This summer, ALDI has joined forces with chef, BBQ extraordinaire and fire cooking expert, John Relihan to bring you sizzling recipes to prepare and perfect on the grill all summer long.
Fancy an alternative to beef or steak? Then why not try your hand at John’s recipe for Beer Can Chicken with Lime & Coriander and Grilled Corn Salsa. Prepared by placing a whole Bord Bia Assured Irish chicken on a half-can of beer, this unique cooking method results in added juiciness and maximum flavour. Topped with a squeeze of zingy lime and served with grilled corn salsa, it is the perfect addition to any backyard BBQ.
Plus, it’s made using high-quality, everyday ingredients found in your local ALDI including Bord Bia Quality Assured 100% Irish Large Whole Chicken €4.69 and American BBQ Seasoning €0.79
See below for recipe and shopping list:
Nature’s Pick Mixed Chillies €0.49 (50g)
Nature’s Pick Red Onions €0.59 (750g)
Nature’s Pick Limes €0.69 (3 Pack)
Ready, Set…Cook! American BBQ Seasoning €0.75 (50g)
The Deli Cider Vinegar €0.99 (500ml)
Stonemill Sea Salt Grinder €0.99 (100g)
Stonemill Pepper Grinder €0.99 (50g)
Nature’s Pick Coriander Herb €0.99 (30g)
Nature’s Pick Lemons €0.99 (3 Pack)
Nature’s Pick Corn on the Cob €1.79 (400g)
Sailor Sam’s Hazy IPA 5.5% ABV €1.99 (440ml)
Solesta Cold Pressed Virgin Rapeseed Oil €2.59 (500ml)
Butcher’s Selection Irish Large Whole Chicken €4.69 (1.9kg)
John Relihan’s Beer Can Chicken with Lime & Coriander and Grilled Corn Salsa
• 1 Whole Bord Bia Assured Irish Chicken
• 1 Tbsp Rapeseed Oil
• Pinch Sea Salt
• 40g ALDI Chicken Seasoning
• ½ Lime
• 3 Sprigs of Coriander
• 1 ALDI Beer
Grilled corn salsa
• 1 Whole Corn on the cob 1
• ½ Red onion (Peeled & diced)
• 10g Red Chili (deseeded & finely diced)
• 100ml Olive oil
• ½ bunch Coriander
• 20ml Cider vinegar
• ½ Lemon Juice
• Pinch of Salt
• Pinch of Pepper
• Preheat the grill. Ensure one side of the grill is hot and one side is on medium heat.
• Rub the whole chicken with rapeseed oil and season with a pinch of sea salt.
• Sprinkle the ALDI seasoning mixture all over the chicken and rub in well.
• Crack open a can of beer, pour yourself a glass and leave half of the beer in the can for the BBQ.
• Place the chicken on the beer can, stand upright and position on the side of the grill that is on medium heat.
• Place the lid of the BBQ on top and cook the chicken for approx. 45 - 50 minutes at 180°C until fully cooked and above 75°C.
• To make the corn salsa simply grill the whole corn on all the sides, and when grilled remove from the grill to the chopping board. Using a knife cut off the corn kernels off and place in a mixing bowl.
• Next for the salsa add the diced red onion, finely diced red chilli, and finely chopped coriander. Now add the olive oil on top with the cider vinegar and lemon juice.
• Mix the corn salsa using a spoon and season with the salt and pepper.
• Place the chicken on a serving plate, sprinkle the coriander and corn salsa over the top and squeeze the grilled lime over the chicken.
• Enjoy with a chilled beverage!
Simply plate it up, crack open a cold beverage of your choosing and tuck in!
This summer, John Relihan is bringing you all sorts of tips, tricks, and handy hacks to help you up your BBQ game! He is also on board as Head Judge of Ireland’s Hottest Grill Master competition and busy assessing entries submitted by BBQ enthusiasts all over Ireland! ALDI have already received a large volume of entries, but it's not too late to enter - open to all aspiring BBQ Cooks!!!
One lucky winner will win a €5,000 ALDI gift card plus an ALDI Egg BBQ, while four runners-up will get their hands on a €250 ALDI gift card and summer hamper.
Speaking about his recipe and Ireland’s Hottest Grill Master, Chef John Relihan said: “I am delighted to share my Beer Can Chicken recipe in partnership with ALDI. People often ask me what the addition of the beer brings to the recipe and as you can imagine the beer lends additional moisture and layers of incredible flavours to the chicken while it cooks. I recommend selecting a fruity, citrus beer or an IPA. As the liquid heats up, it creates a wonderful steam, and the aromas and flavours infuse with the chicken - It is pure magic!"
"I’m a huge fan of ALDI’s Bord Bia Quality Assured Irish Meats. That’s why I am so thrilled to team up with ALDI to help find Ireland’s Hottest Grill Master. I am seriously impressed at the standard of the entries that have been submitted so far - even if it makes the job of picking one winner that bit more difficult!”
Know someone who fits the bill? ALDI is calling on the people of Ireland to submit their nominations now - so if you want to show off your smoking hot BBQ skills, simply log onto https://www.aldi.ie/hottest-grill-master to tell ALDI why you or your nominee deserves to win the title!
Competition entries close on 5th July. For more information, and all competition Terms and Conditions, visit ALDI.ie/hottest-grill-master
Slán go fóill.