Blackwater Distillery launch second in Root & Branch Gin Series
Root & Branch Gin is a series of unique Irish Gins, changing with the seasons and specially crafted in West Waterford by Blackwater Distillery. In an Irish first, Blackwater are working with Green Belt to plant a native tree for each and every bottle sold. Each edition of Root & Branch Gin is available exclusively from Aldi stores nationwide, priced €19.99 (50cl).
Root & Branch Gin will change to reflect the seasons, with a new limited edition coming every three months. The launch edition ‘Blood Orange & Pink Peppercorn’, still on shelf, was designed by Blackwater Distillery’s Italian distiller Silvia Torresi. Delicious over ice, mixed with tonic or soda, or in your favourite gin cocktail, the flavour evokes Mediterranean sunshine in a glass, inspired by Silvia’s home town of Ravenna in the Emilla-Romana region of north eastern Italy.
Arriving in store from 15th September, Root & Branch Fruit of the Forest Gin is an ideal addition to any autumn occasion.
Created by Distiller Steve Povey, he credits his inspiration as: “country walks with our dogs in and around Melleray, Co Waterford, foraging for the flavours of wild hedgerow fruits.” This gin offers fruity flavours of a berry autumn, notes of blackberries, blackcurrants, raspberries and ripe rosehips, cut with a subtle hint of warming Cinnamon, perfect for those cooler evenings."
A native Irish tree will be planted by Green Belt for every bottle sold. Planting trees is a natural way to capture and store carbon, improving Ireland’s contribution to offsetting emissions and reversing climate change at a time when Ireland has the lowest forestry cover in Europe.
Native forestry also encourages rich bio-diversity, so everything from plants to fungi, and from microorganisms like bacteria, to animals like squirrels and foxes, all makes up our natural world. Each of those species and organisms work together in ecosystems, like an intricate web, to maintain balance and support life. Enjoy Root & Branch and help to plant a forest!
Root & Branch Gin Fruit of the Forest Perfect Serve
• 35.5ml (1 shot) Root and Branch Gin Fruit of the Forest
• Tall glass with loads of ice
• Top up with Ridge Valley tonic
• Garnish with fresh mint & a blackberry
Root & Branch Gin Fruit of the Forest Cocktail
• 50ml Root & Branch Gin Fruit of the Forest
• 22.5ml Freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 22.5ml sugar syrup (boil one part sugar to one part water, then cool)
• Fresh blackberries, raspberries, mint leaves
• Add 3 blackberries, 4 mint leaves and 2 raspberries into a cocktail shaker (or jam jar) and gently muddle.
• Then add the freshly squeezed lemon juice, sugar syrup, Root & Branch Gin Fruit of the Forest plus lots of ice and shake for 12 seconds.
• Double strain into an iced-filled tumbler and add a splash of soda. Finally, garnish with blackberries or raspberries and fresh mint.
Look out for Root & Branch Gin exclusively available in Aldi stores nationwide from September 15th.
Slán go fóill.