Celebrate Bastille Day with un-brie-lievable Wine and Cheese Pairings from ALDI
This Bastille Day (July 14th), why not take inspiration from the French and make a trip to ALDI to stock up on wine and cheese? Your local store has everything you need to raise a toast. Bring a slice of French culture to your home with irresistible international cheeses and quality wines from ALDI’s Specially Selected range at fantastic price points.
Don’t know where to begin? ALDI has enlisted wine connoisseur, Tom Doorley, to offer up his expert recommendations on classic wine and cheese pairings you must try.
See below for Tom’s suggestions:
Cheddar and Cairanne
Specially Selected Block Irish 24m Vintage White Cheddar €1.99 is lovely on its own but partner it with a luscious, rich red like the Specially Selected Cairanne €9.99 and you have a marriage made in heaven!
Brie and Chardonnay
Specially Selected French Brie de Meaux €2.49 is best enjoyed with a white wine. ALDI has the ideal candidate in the Specially Selected Chardonnay Limoux €9.99. Ripe but very dry, yet honeyed, fresh and very gently oaked, this is a winning combination.
Roulé and Sauvignon Blanc/Saint-Chinian
The Mini Roulé with Garlic and Herb €1.59 is not only delicious and bursting with flavour, it’s also versatile and can be paired with either a white or a red wine. Try it with a full-bodied red like the Pierre Jaurant Saint-Chinian €8.99 or with a glass of fresh, fruity Specially Selected Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc €9.49.
Gouda and White Wine
Specially Selected Dutch Extra Matura Gouda €2.79 is a cheese that loves the company of white wines, especially spicy ones. Pair it with the Mimo Moutinho Dao Edicao Limitada 2020 €7.99 or the Specially Selected Bianco Toscana Sangiovese €9.99.
Comté and Ripasso
The Specially Selected 12 Month Matured Comté €2.79 has a slight touch of sweetness so goes best with an Italian red. Serve it with a glass of Specially Selected Valpolicella Ripasso €9.99.
Roquefort and Port
Specially Selected French Roquefort €2.49 comes into its own with plenty of fruit and sweetness. That’s why it’s simply perfect with a glass of port like Fletcher’s Fine Ruby Port €5.99. Throw in a few walnuts when they are in season and in-store for a delectable feast!
Don’t spot your favourite cheese on Tom’s list? Worry not for ALDI has plenty more cheese across 150 stores nationwide!
Check out the full list of cheeses available in ALDI stores nationwide:
• Emporium French Brie €1.19 (200g)
• Emporium Speciality Cheese €1.39 (200g)
• Emporium Mini Roulé €1.49 (100g) Choose from Garlic & Herb, Almond & Pineapple, Black Pepper & Paprika or Wild Salmon & Dill.
• Specially Selected Block Irish 24m Vintage White Cheddar €1.99 (250g)
• Specially Selected Sliced Irish 18m Vintage Red Cheddar €2.19 (160g)
• Specially Selected Sliced Irish 18m Vintage White Cheddar €2.19 (160g)
• Specially Selected Baking Camembert €2.49 (250g)
• Specially Selected French Brie de Meaux €2.49 (165g)
• Specially Selected French Roquefort €2.49 (125g)
• Specially Selected 12 Month Matured Comté €2.79 (180g)
• Specially Selected Extra Mature Gouda €2.79 (180g)
• Specially Selected Spanish Manchego €2.79 (175g)
• Specially Selected Swiss Gruyere AOP Reserve €2.79 (150g)
Plus, the full list of wines according to Tom’s recommendations:
• Fletcher’s Fine Ruby Port €5.99 (20cl)
• Mimo Moutinho Dao Edicao Limitada 2020 €7.99 (75cl)
• Pierre Jaurant Saint-Chinian €8.99 (75cl)
• Specially Selected Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc €9.49 (75cl)
• Specially Selected Valpolicella Ripasso €9.99 (75cl)
• Specially Selected Bianco Toscana Sangiovese €9.99 (75cl)
• Specially Selected Chardonnay Limoux €9.99 (75cl)
• Specially Selected Cairanne €9.99 (75cl)