Victory for Aldi as 102 year old potato variety launches in store! w/Recipe
For the first time ever, Aldi will be selling 1kg bags of Arran Victory Potatoes, a new seasonal product from O’Shea Farms, in 145 stores nationwide. Aldi is currently the only retailer in Ireland stocking this variety of potato which is available now until the 19th of May.
This variety of potato is now 102 years old, initially being produced after World War 1 and it is one of only two purple skinned varieties with a white creamy flesh.
Heritage potato production trials over the past number of years at O’Shea farms have identified Arran Victory as the best all round growing and eating potato for production with a similar dry matter to Rooster and Maris Piper.
John O’Shea from O’Shea’s farm commented: “The potato has always had a central place in the diet and by extension the culture of Ireland. A living legacy of this long association is the unique collection of potato varieties which is preserved by the Department of Agriculture Food and Marine. To date, there are over 400 old and modern varieties recorded which have originated from both Ireland and abroad. We’re confident that this potato will win over customers and be a huge success!"
Aldi’s Food Ambassador, Trisha Lewis (Trisha’s Transformation) commented: “As someone born and raised in Ireland, I think it is safe to say that potatoes have been in my life for all 32 years so far and I love them! There are so many reasons why I love them. They are really budget friendly and they are so versatile. You can do so much with the humble spud!”
“At the start of the week, I will always peel my potatoes for a couple of days as it makes my life easier in the long run. I store them in a tub in the fridge and I make sure that they are completely immersed in water as it prevents them from going black. When I am making homemade chips, I will always soak them in water to remove as much of the starch as I can. I prefer a drier potato like Arran Victory as they are great for creating really crispy chips.”
Crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, why not pick up a bag of Egan’s 1kg Arran Victory Potato €1.59 in Aldi stores and try out this delicious roast potato recipe.
Ultimate Roast Potatoes Serves: 6 people Prep time: 12 minutes Cooking time: 60 minutes
• 1kg Arran Victory Potatoes
• 200ml Solesta Sunflower Oil
• 1 tsp Stonemill Paprika
• 3 cloves of Nature’s Pick Garlic
• 2 sprigs of fresh Nature’s Pick Rosemary
• Stonemill Sea Salt and Black Pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6
2. Peel the potatoes and cut into large chunks
3. Parboil in salted water for 5 minutes with the whole cloves of garlic and paprika
4. Drain well in a colander, then shake them around to roughen up the edges
5. Pre-heat the oil in a metal roasting dish
6. When the oil is hot, place each potato carefully in the oil, along with the sprigs of rosemary
7. Cook for 45 minutes until golden – turning a couple of times as you cook
8. Drain off the surplus oil, discard the rosemary and the garlic
9. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Slán go fóill,