Danny Joyce | Editor
Add some bite to your breakfast with Flahavan’s Gluten Free Jumbo Oats
Gluten-free fans and coeliacs around the country are in for a treat as Flahavan’s, Ireland’s oat experts, launch its NEW Gluten Free Jumbo Irish Pure Oats ahead of Coeliac Awareness Week (15th May - 20th May 2023)
Made using only the highest quality Irish oats, and certified as gluten free by the Coeliac Society of Ireland, Flahavan’s Gluten Free Jumbo Oat Flakes are a larger, thicker oat flake - ideal for a delicious porridge with more bite or an Overnight Oats with more texture. Jumbo Oat Flakes can also be used as an ingredient in home-baking to make fabulous Flapjacks, incredible Crumbles or heavenly homemade Granolas.
Flahavan’s Gluten Free Jumbo Irish Pure Oats (600g) are now available in SuperValu stores nationwide at a RRP of €4.39.
To mark this exciting product launch, Flahavan’s have created delicious Coeliac friendly recipes using their new Gluten Free JUMBO Oats. Flahavan’s Gluten Free Jumbo Oat Flakes are a larger, thicker oat flake - ideal for a delicious porridge with more bite or an Overnight Oats with more texture.
Pear & Ginger Loaf
Serves 12 | Takes 70mins
• 500ml of natural yogurt
• 1 beaten egg
• 1 tbsp. treacle
• 300g Flahavan’s Gluten Free Jumbo Oats
• 2 small fresh pear, unripe is fine
• 100g pecan nuts
• Whole pieces of crystalised ginger
• ½ tsp pink Himalayan salt
• 1 tsp ground ginger
• 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
• Peel the pears and cut into 3 cm cubes removing the core and pips.
• Cut any of the very big pieces of ginger in half.
• Place the yogurt, beaten egg and treacle in a bowl and stir well.
• Mix the oats, bread soda, pear, ginger pieces, pecans, spices and salt in a separate bowl, add to the yogurt mixture and stir thoroughly.
• Place in a greased or parchment-lined 2lb loaf tin, sprinkle with oats and bake at 180°C for 30 minutes.
• Lower temperature to 150°C and cook for a further 30 minutes. Allow to cool a little before slicing, this is fantastic with salted Irish Butter.
• Serve with mascarpone, toasted nuts and grilled pear for a delicious dessert!
Blueberry & Kefir Oats
Serves 2 | Takes 15 mins
• 80g Flahavan’s Gluten Free Jumbo Oats
• 250ml water
• Pinch of salt
• 250ml kefir drink
• 150g blueberries
• 2 tsp chia seeds (optional)
• 25ml maple syrup
• A small handful of raspberries
• Place the Flahavan’s Gluten Free Jumbo Oats, salt and water in a small pan over medium heat and cook until creamy, stirring frequently to increase the creaminess (top tip – want to speed up the process, pop your Flahavan’s Organic Jumbo Oats, in the microwave for 3 minutes).
• Blitz the kefir with the blueberries and maple syrup until perfectly smooth, sieve to remove the flecks of the blueberry skin and stir through the oats.
• Pour the combined mixture into two bowls and top with the raspberries and chia seeds (or toppings of your choice). Enjoy!
Peanut Butter Granola
Serves 5 | Takes 35 minutes
• 200g of Flahavan’s Gluten Free Jumbo Oats
• 4 tbsp of coconut oil, melted (25g melted)
• 4 tbsp of crunchy peanut butter (150g)
• 6 tbsp of maple syrup
• 150g of pistachios
• 150g of whole blanched hazelnuts
• 100g of ground almonds
• 60g of cocoa nibs
• Pre-heat your oven to 160ºC.
• In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil with the peanut butter and maple syrup on a low to medium heat until combined, then remove from the heat and set aside.
• In a large mixing bowl add all the dry ingredients except for the cocoa nibs and thoroughly combine, then pour over the warm coconut oil mixture and mix well.
• Line two 10x15cm trays with baking paper and evenly spread the granola across both.
• Place in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and shake the mixture before placing back into the oven for a further 10 minutes (or until lightly golden brown).
• Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before adding the cocoa nibs and storing in an air tight container.
Cookie Dough Energy Balls
Serves 10 | Takes 20 minutes
• 130g Flahavan’s Organic Gluten Free Jumbo Oats
• 130g cashew nuts
• 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
• Pinch of salt
• ¼ cup agave syrup
• ¼ cup melted coconut oil
• 170g cashew butter
• 60g chopped dark chocolate
• Place all the ingredients, except the chocolate, into a food processor and blend until the mixture comes together.
• Knead the chopped chocolate into the mixture, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
• Once chilled, separate the mixture and roll into walnut sized balls and store in an airtight container.
For further information, inspiration and recipes please visit Flahavan’s here www.flahavans.ie
Slán go fóill.