This year, Pancake Tuesday (or Shrove Tuesday) falls on March 1st. Make sure it doesn't fall flat by heading to Aldi and grabbing everything you need to make the perfect pancake.
Aldi is also delighted to share recipes to help you make pitch perfect pancakes from scratch. Whether you’re craving American style pancakes, fancy keeping it old school with classic pancakes or are looking for a simple, delicious vegan pancake recipe, Aldi has something for you.
American Style Breakfast Pancakes
Fluffy pancakes, crispy bacon and sweet honey. What's not to like? Serves: 4 people Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes
• 250g Self Raising Flour • 1 tbsp Caster Sugar • 1 tsp Salt • 1 Medium Egg • 300ml Semi Skimmed Milk • 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil • 12 Thin Rashers of Streaky Bacon • 4 tbsp Manuka Honey
Method • Place the flour, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix well.
• Add the egg and milk and bring together with a wooden spoon.
• Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a non stick frying pan and add 2-3 spoons of mixture to the pan.
• Let the mixture run in the pan.
• After 2 minutes, flip over with a spatula and cook for a further 2 minutes.
• Repeat the process until all the mixture is cooked.
• Grill the bacon until nice and crispy.
• Serve the warm pancakes topped with the bacon and drizzle with squeezy honey.
Banana & Peanut Butter Vegan Pancakes
The best pancakes ever made with banana and peanut butter. Yum! Serves: 8 people Prep time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 10 minutes
• 1 ripe Banana (plus extra to serve) • 50g The Foodie Market Whole Nut Crunchy Peanut Butter (plus extra to serve) • 100g The Pantry Plain Flour • ½ tsp The Pantry Baking Powder • 2 tbsp Specially Selected Maple Syrup • 150ml Sweetened Acti Leaf Soya Drink • 1 tbsp of Sunflower Oil (for cooking) Method • Mash 1 banana in a bowl using a fork and then beat in 50g of peanut butter and the maple syrup. • Add the plain flour and baking powder and then gradually add the soya drink and mix until smooth. • Heat a frying pan, grease with a little sunflower oil and of the mixture into the pan (about 2 tablespoons per pancake). • Cook for 2-3 minutes until bubbles appear and then flip, cooking with a spatula for a few more minutes.
• Serve with the remaining peanut butter and fresh sliced banana.
Crispy, tasty and wonderfully versatile. These pancakes are a bona fide classic. Serves: 4 people Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 2 minutes
•100g The Pantry Plain Flour • 1 Medium Egg • 300ml Semi Skimmed Milk • Pinch of Salt Method • Beat the egg into the milk along with the salt. • Sift the flour into a bowl, make a well in the centre of the flour and slowly whisk in the milk and egg mixture until the mixture is smooth. • Allow to settle for 20 minutes. • Heat a little oil or butter in a medium frying pan. • Pour enough batter in just to cover the base, cook on a medium heat for 30 seconds until browned, flip and cook the other side. • Repeat until all the batter is used. • The batter will keep cling filmed in the fridge for 2 days, just whisk before using. • The pancakes can be made in advance, kept in the fridge for 2 days and reheated in a warm oven, wrapped in tin foil.
Chilli & Chocolate Pancakes
Traditional pancakes filled with succulent strawberries and drizzled with a chilli chocolate topping. Serves: 2 people Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 5 minutes
For Pancake Mix 110g Self-Raising Flour 275ml Fresh Milk 1 Egg 30g Butter, melted 30g Caster Sugar
For Chilli Chocolate Topping 100ml Fresh Cream 1 Red Chilli, split lengthways 100g Milk Chocolate 1 pack Fresh Strawberries, quartered
Method: For Pancake Mix • Sieve the flour into the bowl.
• Add the other ingredients and whisk until the lumps are pretty much gone.
• Leave to stand for 1/2 hour.
• Cook in an un-greased pan on a medium/high heat until they brown on each side.
• Serve immediately.
The batter will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.
For Chilli Chocolate Topping • Fill a pot with water 3cm deep and bring to a simmer.
• Put the bowl on top of the pot, making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water directly.
• Put the cream and chilli into the bowl and allow to warm through for 10-15 minutes.
• Remove the bowl from the heat and leave to cool completely.
• Remove the chilli from the cream and discard.
• Replace the bowl of cream on the simmering pot and add the chocolate.
• Leave for 5-10 minutes and mix until the chocolate has melted.
• Remove from the heat and pour lashings of chocolate sauce over your pancakes and top with fresh strawberries.
Ingredients for the above recipes are available in 149 Aldi stores nationwide.
Slán go fóill,